I haven't blogged much about Icarus, but I've been posting occasional updates on Ravelry. I decided I needed at least one WIP post about the project, though, so here it is.
I just finished knitting row 8 of chart 3. That means I'm halfway through the chart. I have 8 more rows, then one more 24-row chart, then 4 rows of edging. Then I'll be done.
I cut out two repeats of the first chart. You are supposed to work the entire chart, then repeat the last 24 rows 5 times more. I only repeated those rows three additional times. This is a huge shawl. As written, the pattern makes a shawl that's 72" wide, which is way too big for a 4'10" girl. And my shawl got big fast. I was aiming for around 60" wide, and I think I overshot that. Even without the two extra repeats.
I guess we'll see once I finish it.
Reference pictures for those who may not have Ravelry or be familiar with the pattern can be found here and here as the book cover.
And mine, as of tonight, looks like this in crappy pictures taken with my webcam because I can't seem to find the real camera:
Close-up of the feathery portion:
I have to say, these rows are taking forever to knit now, but I am really enjoying the project overall. I love seeing the pattern emerge. I check it every other row to see if it's changed. And I can't wait to get it finished and wash and block it so I can move on to my next beautiful, exciting pattern.
I think it has finally happened, folks. I, product knitter extraordinaire, have been transformed. Now I knit more for process than product.
I probably won't even wear Icarus more than once, if even that. But that isn't the point, really. I love the way it looks!