Monday, March 7, 2011

Gamer Hat is almost done!

I'm really surprised at how quickly this project has gone. I thought it would take forever, but once I got past the first few rows it went much more quickly. I finished the hat itself today, redid the charts (since I've apparently lost the old copy) and now I'm ready to do the embroidery.

Speaking of charts, I promised to upload them. So here they are, in all their glory:

Tri-force (Legend of Zelda):

Screw attack (Metroid):
(The off-white part should actually be goldeny yellow.)

Energy tank (Megaman):

And a p-wing (Mario):

I'm not fully satisfied with the p-wing. The top part should point upwards a little more. But I couldn't get it to look right that way, so this'll do.

This is the diagram I drew myself of my decreasing pattern. It starts at the top, because I was working in Notepad, but I just divided the hat into 6 sections and worked paired decreases in each section, working plain rows between decrease rows as needed.
I know it's tiny, but you can click on it to see it bigger. You can also see a bigger version on Ravelry. Also, it's not shown here, but I worked a right twist (sl 1 to cn and hold to back, k1, k1 from cn) above the decreases on the rows immediately following decrease rows, except for the last few where there are no plain rows in between. That helped minimize the laddering I get at the "seams" between paired decreases. Plus, it looks kinda cool.

There are no photos of the hat itself yet, but those will hopefully be available tomorrow. I'm hoping to finish duplicate stitching the designs on tonight. We'll see, though ... it's already 11:30 p.m.

No comments: