Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Photo dump

Okay, so I've neglected my blogging duties. Sorry. I blame craziness at work. I have managed to get a few things finished ... namely, the gamer hat, a pair of fingerless gloves and a button-tab hat for myself, which isn't QUITE finished yet but is close enough. (It's blocking as we speak. Er, type.)

Even this post won't make up for my blogging failure, because I admit, I'm blogging mainly just so I have a place to host my photos so I can post them in the correct House Cup and Nerd Wars discussion threads. So it's going to basically just be a photo dump with little commentary. I'll try to at least explain what everything is, even though it really will probably be pretty self-explanatory.

First of all, the gamer hat on my sexy (but sleepy) husband:

 (I love his blue eyes. Okay, I'll stop talking about Luke. Oh, one other thing. He loves his hat. Yay!)

Okay, now to show off the nice-looking (I think) decreases:
I divided the hat into six sections and worked paired decreases to make those nice lines, and I worked some right twists/mini cables along that line to prevent ladders.

I think it worked out very nicely, and I think I may be using this technique on more hats from now on. In fact, I already have; I used the same decreasing technique (with 5 sections instead of 6) on my brown hat, the one I just finished.
Here's a close-up, but you still can't see it very well due to the light gray yarn. I think it'll show up a little better on my hat.

 Okay, and now for close-ups of the designs. First, the p-wing. I never did figure out how to make the top right part look right, but that's okay, it's recognizable enough.

Screw attack (it doesn't look as flat on the lower left corner in real life):

The tri-force, which I think turned out the best of all, even though the hat wasn't laying completely flat when I took this photo:

And the energy tank, again with that not-laying-flat issue ... this one didn't turn out as well as the others, mainly because there's not enough contrast between the blue and the black, which wouldn't be an issue on a larger scale because it wouldn't be as stripy-looking with the blue and white. But it does look much better in person, and the gray doesn't show up nearly as much in real life. The flash highlighted it a lot more than natural lighting does.

Okay, and that's it for the gamer hat. Next up, the reading mitts. I used the Susie's Reading Mitts pattern, but I made them much (MUCH) smaller than the pattern called for. They're only 24 stitches around. But they fit perfectly. These are knit from Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL yarn in a deep teal color that I'm in love with.

I fulfilled a requirement for a Nerd Wars prompt while knitting these mitts: I made Luke take photos of me working on them in a public location. In this case, at the Eastland Mall in Evansville, Ind., but as I'm sure you can guess, that's definitely not the only public place that saw action on these. Actually, I did very little of the work on these at home. They were knit almost exclusively in public places.

They were still in the beginning stages at that point. I think I was still working on the first glove there. But as you can see, there are, in fact, two of them:

And they fit!
Both of them, in fact. (Don't lie, I know you missed the webcam photos! Okay, really I was just too lazy to bother with the real camera yesterday, and I wanted to show them off. Don't ask how I managed to take a webcam photo with both hands in the photo. That thing doesn't exactly have a timer on it. It wasn't easy.)

Okay, that's all for now. Since the button-tab hat is still blocking, I haven't taken photos of it yet. I'll do that when it dries, I promise. I have to, if I want credit for my OWL, which, yes, I finished! Well, almost. I still have to sew the buttons on that hat once it dries and weave in the ends. But that won't take 15 minutes.

I finished it! Yay!

Oh, I guess I can go ahead and give the details on that one. It started out as a Robin's Egg Blue Hat and ended up inspired by the Robin's Egg Blue Hat. I didn't even bother to look at the pattern. I did a rectangular button flap with two buttons instead of a rounded one with a single large button, I used light worsted weight yarn instead of chunky, I used my own decreasing pattern ... I just winged it. But it's a basic beanie with a wide seed stitch brim and a small button tab on the brim. It's knit from Knitpicks Andean Silk in Cinnamon and has two mother-of-pearl buttons on the tab.


Dawn B said...

I just used your lovely pattern to make a dice bag for my boyfriend. Thank you for sharing it!

Amie said...

You're welcome! I'd love to see your dice bag!